Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Getting Festive for my favorite month: OCTOBER!

   

    If you are anything like me.... that October breeze gets here to Texas and I am so ready to enjoy all the great things that come along with this amazing weather! Pumpkin Latte's, changing leaves, and ofcourse CUTE decor!

  Unfortunately October is the month that things start getting crazy financially too, Parties, Holidays, Halloween Costumes, Etc. 
   This year I decided to really do things on a budget to show that they can be just as cute and fun! I hate tacky decorations but with a little tweaking even The Dollar Store can have some great finds! 


   This garland I made was actually an idea I got from a friend on instagram. I can't sew, so I thought I could just cut some slits in the leaves and string them along my jute string. I love that stuff... I use it for lots of projects (as you will see along the way) It looks organic and simple! There is no trick to where to cut your leaves... I did mine very random and I love the way it looks.


 So everyone knows I love Hobby Lobby but they are selling their fall leaf bundles for $12 right now! Crazy! I got these leaves at the dollar store for $1 a bundle. They had a few different colors so I tried to mix them up a little for more variety. These bundles each had about 20 leaves on them and the garland had about 25 leaves. (depending on length and space between leaves) I spent $5 on leaves and made 4 garland stands. If you have leftover leaves they look cute as table decor just laying around! What a steal!


   Pumpkins are my favorite way to decorate for fall! I love pumpkins! You can get a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors and not spend too much money. The small ones are great for indoor decor and really add a great touch to the mantle, the kitchen table, and ofcourse the Front Porch! I bought about 10 small pumpkins, 1 fairytale (my fave but ofcourse the most pricey! $$) & 3 Medium Pumpkins and spent Less than $50. I think the look I got was well worth the money, My house has a pumpkin on almost every table!!


  Mums are also very fall festive for the porch, they were $7 each and if they are taken very well care of they can even last through next season (in Texas that is.)


   Another great way to decorate on a budget is with DIY printables! You can find a ton of them free online, these are a few of my favorite printable flags:



   I recently invested in a great printer for all my projects... It started with my friends baby shower and manifested into invitations, banners, and tons of other cute stuff that I printed right off the computer. I have become OBsessed! My printer was $120 at Best Buy. Its nothing crazy fancy (HP Photosmart) but prints great pictures, and it is wireless so it makes it so easy to print (even straight from your phone!) I highly recommend investing in a good printer (and paper: matte photo paper prints the best for projects!) I have saved so much money printing things at home and making lots of party decor, too! 

   Another great investment is a paper cutter... a big one with a handle and measuring guide! (about $50) It has saved me so much time and the cut looks very professional and straight for pictures, signs, banners, and so much more! I literally use this thing ALL the time! Love it!! Gotta Love Hob Lob (AND don't forget to download the app for the 40% Coupon!!!) 


    So there you have it, these simple and inexpensive decor ideas will have your house looking homey and festive in no time! Another trick to my decorating is that I dont use a lot of Scary or costume inspired decor, I like that I can leave my decor up through Thanksgiving... I can change the "BOO" on the mantle to "GIVE THANKS" for an easy and cheap update after Halloween is over.

Happy October everyone!! 🍂🍁




No comments:

Post a Comment